The tragic and senseless home invasion and murder Sunday of a New Britain woman has brought the need for tougher sentencing in Connecticut into view once more.
“We have been told over and over that there is little that could have been done to prevent the evil acts that took place in Cheshire last summer or again in New Britain on Sunday. I don’t buy that and the public does not buy that,” House Republican Leader Larry Cafero said. “We agree with the Governor that the time to act on a Three Strikes mandatory life sentence law is long past due.”
The man charged with this most recent murder had been previously charged with first degree burglary twice and first degree sexual assault before he was released earlier this month from jail. He then allegedly murdered the New Britain woman following a home invasion Sunday morning. The previous charges had been bargained down to lesser offenses which would not have exposed the suspect to the Three Strikes law Democrats rejected once in January and again earlier this month.
Cafero noted that Democrats consistently objected to the mandatory life sentence proposal because they viewed judicial and prosecutorial discretion as sacrosanct. Republicans modified their position and agreed that prosecutors should have discretion but must state publicly why they would not bring Three Strikes charges against a defendant who could face life behind bars if convicted.
“At the very least they would have to explain their actions and in the New Britain case we don’t know why the initial charges were reduced,” Cafero said. “People must feel secure in their homes and on the streets. We must be responsive to those concerns and be accountable for our own actions in protecting the public.”